Why Come to South?
At South Seattle College, our goal is to prepare outstanding CTE teachers. Through our CTE teacher certification program, we train teachers to prepare this generation of students to meet the multi-dimensional abilities required in the 21st century.
Courses are taught by current or former CTE instructors or directors from around the State, providing students with diverse perspectives and experiences. For CTE candidates new to the teaching profession, instructors serve as mentors and advisors helping with career navigation and networking.
- Students may start the CTE certification program any quarter.
- South’s program and scheduled meetings are designed to accommodate working professionals.
- Students progress at their own pace. Enrollment each quarter is not required to remain an active participant in the program.
- The majority of the CTE classes are taught online (asynchronous) or as hybrid (combining online and in-person) classes.
- Program is clock-hour based (less expensive than credits) with no application fees.
- Pay as you go, per course:
- Typical program cost for Professionals coming from Business and Industry = $2,477
- Typical program cost for Experienced Certificated Professionals= $1,911
Thoughts from Participants
“Thanks for all of your help these past two years. I am so happy I chose South Seattle for my CTE Certification. I have grown so much in my teaching, planning and have some wonderful memories!!”
-P. H., Olympic Peninsula
“I just wanted you to know that I absolutely love my job and I definitely use what I learned at South in ALL my classes everyday. The SSC on-line program was perfect for the distance-based learner and the occasional face-to-face classes gave the program the personal touch.”
-T. C., Chelan
“Many thanks to South and all your wonderful instructors and staff for their guidance. I learned a lot and am amazed how my teaching practice has benefitted.”
-P. S., Mt. Vernon
Program Data for 2016-2017
- Average age: 43 years old (age range 24-67)
- Gender: 52% Male; 48% Female
- Students come from 83 different school districts across WA State
- Teachers who have a WA State Teaching Certificate: 55%
- Average # of years teaching 9.5
- The % teaching in middle schools: 17%