Expand your artistic expression and learn how to paint a variety of skin tones of color — from olive to darker brown. You’ll practice palette and brush techniques for features, different hair textures, and darker eyes. Each session will be tailored for technique and creative development. The class will also explore the history of Caribbean, Mediterranean, and African American artists, and includes a field trip to the Northwest African American Museum
- Session 1: Introduction to instructor, student meet and greet, materials list, and syllabus explanation of class assignments.
- Session 2: Demos and Color Theory and Mixing. How to use brushes, solvent, application, of paints.
- Session 3: Blocking out shapes for portraits. Learning shapes of features.
- Session 4: Application of paint, washes, and tones.
Class will be held at Seattle Central Campus.
- Sessions 5: Transparency, Light, Shadow, and Glazing.
- Session 6: Painting with Texture. Learning to paint different types of hair textures.
- Session 7: Adding clothing for texture and contrast.
- Session 8: Adding highlights.
- Session 9: Class will meet on a Sunday for a trip to the Seattle African American Museum.